If you can’t fall asleep, stay asleep, or get enough sleep, you aren’t alone. Approximately 33 to 50% of American experience these symptoms when they go to bed to sleep. These symptoms are referred to as insomnia – a sleep disorder that can come and go or may be an ongoing, longstanding issue.
Let’s talk about the causes of insomnia, its remedies and treatment, and where you can go for the treatment of insomnia in Weatherford, TX.
What Causes Insomnia?
Insomnia can result from several factors, including environmental, physiological, and psychological factors. It can be a primary problem or may be associated with other health conditions.
Some common causes of insomnia are:
- Stress from your work, school, health, or a traumatic event
- Poor sleep habits
- Unhealthy lifestyle
- Mental health disorders such as anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, etc.
- Sleep disorders, like sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, etc.
- Medical conditions, such as Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease, asthma, chronic pain
- Medications, such as corticosteroids, statins, beta-blockers, etc.
Short-term insomnia can get better on its own or by following a few home remedies; however, for ongoing long-term insomnia, or chronic insomnia you may need to see a sleep expert.
Remedies for Insomnia
Some common tips that can help manage insomnia may include:
- Changing your sleep habits – To manage your insomnia, change your sleeping habits. For example, establish a sleep and wake up routine, avoid using electronic devices right before bed, and keep telephone and other devices outside the bedroom.
- Altering your dietary habits – Changing your nutritional habits can also help with insomnia. For instance, don’t go to bed empty stomach, and avoid eating a heavy meal within 2-3 hours before going to bed. You should also limit your caffeine or alcohol intake.
- Taming your stress –If you think stress is the cause of your insomnia, tame your stress. You can reduce your stress by staying active, doing meditation, trying yoga, and breathing and relaxation exercises before sleep.
Medical Treatment for Insomnia
Your sleep expert will utilize a holistic approach to treat your insomnia. Generally, your sleep doctor, after doing a sleep study, will find out the underlying cause of your sleep problem and develop a treatment plan which may include the following:
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy for Insomnia– This is a brief and structured intervention from your sleep medicine doctor that helps identify and replace thoughts and behaviors that cause or worsen sleep issues. The therapy also promotes sound sleep by addressing the underlying cause of insomnia.
Medications – Sometimes, your sleep medicine doctor may also recommend sleeping pills. Usually, insomnia patients are advised to take their medications only now and then or only for a short period.
Your sleep doctor may also advise you to take melatonin supplements as a sleep aid.
Sleep Experts in Weatherford, Texas
Do you often find it difficult to fall asleep at night or often wake up during the night? Visit us at the Lung & Sleep Specialists of North Texas. Our highly skilled and trained sleep expert will perform a sleep study to find out the cause of your sleep disorder and develop a customized treatment plan so that you can get the restful sleep you need to live healthily.
To make an appointment with our sleep expert Dr. Olusegun Oseni, call us today at (817) 594-9993, or submit an appointment request by filling out this convenient form.